Sunday, September 23, 2007

Trader Joe's Super Amazing Kitchen Cloths


In my endless quest to waste less I sought out Trader Joe's Super Amazing Kitchen Cloths as paper-towel replacers. (Well, I at least wanted to use fewer of them. I still prefer paper towels to clean up doggie accidents.)

I use my sponges plenty, but mostly to scrub tough goo off the stove or for a preliminary counter swipe. When I'm using spray cleaner, as eco-friendly as it may be, I don't want it on my sponge. My dish towels are meant for drying dishes and hands, so ditto there. My solution had been to use microfiber cleaning cloths with my countertrop spray, but they were a bit heavy and seemed like overkill.

The TJs cloths (which come 2 to a pack for $3.99) are made of vicose, a super-absorbent synthetic material that's somewhat related to rayon. They're around the size of a standard 8.5x11" piece of paper, and feel a bit like felt to me. I hear vicose can absorb 10 times its weight in water? This reminds me of those special swimming towels a friend of mine had in the '80s. (They were tiny and came in a tube. I wanted one.)

The SAKCs apparently come in many colors- ours are a chocolate brown (j. picked them out). I haven't actually washed mine yet, as ringing it out after use has sufficed. It dries really quickly. I am starting to feel badly for its unused buddy.

I wasn't relying very much on paper towels, as I said, but this is an improvement over my microfiber cloths (and I was thinking of going to disposable wipes from those, so the Trader Joe's cloths prevented that transition.)

8 comments:

SalGal said...

Ok, I read about these paper-towel subsitutes at some AT website and immediately ran out to get some. I was a little shocked at the price, but whatever, I bought two packages. Now, I'm not sure what to do with them! I've used them a couple of times, they do wring out nicely, but don't I need to wash them before re-use if I wipe up something like milk or oj? Or can I just wrinse & wring?

Let me know how you like them, maybe I am using them wrong!

p.s. They shrink a little after you launder them.

lisbet said...

I think I'd wash them if I cleaned up something like milk, but with juice I'd just rinse it in the sink. I don't get the people who have never laundered theirs though- I used one of mine to clean the lid of the trashcan today so it's going in the wash.

Search Engine Optimization said...

Nice posting

regards
web designer

Sasha said...

why bother with laundry? just soak 'em in soap and water and hand-wash 'em, old-school style, right there in the sink. simple, clean, quick, and does not waste laundry cycles. that's just my 2¢. i am using these for drying my hands both in the kitchen and bathroom. less laundry = saved energy.

webmaster said...

As soon as you set up your online business, you would definitely come across the challenge of surviving in a quickly growing competitive environment. Moreover, the ever-changing market trends would also pose challenges to you and at such a situation, efficient ecommerce solution may provide you the best business advantage that you can ever dream of. Come in touch with http://www.infyecommercesolution.com and avail of the best ecommerce solutions.

milf said...

1。那混合物是更缓慢的 ... 但是 Lexus 的即将到来混合版本 ' 将是比气体气体更快的唯一的版本如好地有多马力。不要自夸速度,但是我被吸引轮流开送行为 90,是警察给我一次休息。
2。那不是很
... 只是通过在城市乘公交车往返我储蓄过来 $ 5000/yr 与我的以前的汽车,吉普车切诺基相比。超过 5 年,会是 $ 更不用说会进一步增强我的储蓄的最近的比率远足的 20K。这样除非你是在你的父母的地产上吸的一个浪费的儿子,你的声明是一束公牛。

milf said...

3. 45 (90 r/t)
45mpg 天是 2 我的车上> 8 加>>比。那每天是 6 >仑的一笔>蓄, 120 月, 1440 每年者 5040 (根 3.5 元/) ... 加上它发表 1/10th CO2。多愚蠢是它不要骑一个,去算进今天和年龄。
4.缺少了解 ... 是真的,实际上我个人这样那样喜欢它我可能享受所有鼓励;税,合伙用车,免费停车米, prius 业主之间的秘密的信号,等等;这样自私地说那我真地在那里在享受在所有气体汽车业主上的所有权那没有一个想法多少我这辆汽车有的嬉戏。我 junked 我的 SL,郊区对我的 Prius ... 你应该也。

Masud Khan said...

Nice and very useful topic that is very need able for us.

dog Waste bags